Friday, January 29, 2010

Peanut Butter

Every time I travel overseas, I take a jar of super crunchy peanut butter with me. This is for two reasons: First, I never know what kind of cuisine I will encounter. For instance, in India, curry seems to be the dish of choice. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of curry so a big jar of peanut butter and fresh bananas tied me over many, many times.

On another trip with a cousin of mine (who for some reason can't stand the stuff), I literally dug the peanuty goodness out with a ball point pen. Hey, I am not proud of it, but what else is there to eat in France?

Oh wait. Never mind.

And heaven forbid I should go hungry. Especially so far from home. That could induce panic. And we all know that panic only makes you hungrier.

The other reason that I always carry peanut butter is because I absolutely love the stuff. LOVE. IT. I very rarely buy it when I am not traveling because I can easily eat it all in a matter of days. And I'm talking straight out of the jar with a big honkin' spoon. So, I tend to ration myself when I am stateside.

However, I am about to embark upon another transcontinental journey, so I am highly anticipating my stop at the store. But get this...I am going to buy TWO jars this time.

No, people. Not for me.

Let me just tell you a little story. A few years ago my sister and I met a nice Turkish guy, named Cetin, who had come to study at Denver Seminary. We invited him to my parents' house for dinner and he immediately became part of our family. So much so that I now call him my brother.

Since I will be spending one week in Turkey and part of my time there will be visiting him and his family, I asked my Turkish brother what I could bring his family from the good ol' USA. I was assuming hummus would not be on the list.

His response was a bag of Ghiradelli raspberry squares for himself (See? We are totally related) and a jar of SUPER CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER for his mom!

Get. Out.

I love this woman. I have never met her but I can already anticipate a wonderful visit. It is obvious that this woman has got spunk. I mean seriously...who else asks for the super crunch if you aren't a little on the spunky side? She is a woman after my own heart...and appetite.

It's going to be a good trip.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, that was not just any ballpoint pen, but was in fact a bonified quad colored clicky pen sporting super crunchy PB. What a memory! Happy late B-day Sarah-dellie. Have a truly marvelous trip and be careful. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I love that memory!! What a great trip that was. :)I miss you tons and love you all.

    ReplyDelete