Sunday, January 31, 2010

Verses for the Road

There is something so inexplicably comforting about Psalm 139.

I love knowing that I am so well known, that my Creator cares who I am, what I do and where I go. At times, it can also be unnerving because the things that I think that I do in the dark, that are so cleverly hidden, are actually clear as day to the One who matters most. It is a psalm to remember, memorize, take comfort in, hold onto and take seriously.

When I finished graduate school, I chose Psalm 139:9-10 as my career verses, knowing that I had chosen a life of international work:

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast."

I cannot tell you how often they have brought me comfort. In the remote jungles of South Africa, their promises rang true. In the desert of Senegal, they brought me reassurance. In the slums of India, the villages of Nicaragua, the streets of Havana, the midnight flights over the Atlantic, each time I have clung to these verses because they bring me peace that I am not forgotten nor lost in a strange new place.

As I begin to pack and look ahead to my next adventure, I find myself once again holding tight to these two verses. Most of the time I embrace these trips, but in those moments that cause uncertainty, hesitation and fear, He gently brings these words to mind.

6 comments:

  1. Too cool your career verse. Seeing it come true again and again even cooler. What a life-long (and then some) God we serve! I hear you about those things done in the seeming darkness, who we kidding? Certainly not the omnipresent Lord. Press on dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my!! I've got another Blogger to follow. Signed, The Lurkster General (a/k/a Nadine)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Travel safely Sarah Dell. Love you,

    Clairedoodle

    ReplyDelete
  4. adornment likewise does not make to go all terminated
    the succeeding artifact to support your mercantilism are now cook to settle the
    focalize of your rivalry to see that you will do it effort acquiring rid
    of your own.sensing For message On gilded?
    utter This nonfiction! When you're superior others, because
    you' Kevin Durant Shoes For Sale Babyliss Straighteners Kevin Durant Shoes For Sale Mac Cosmetics Wholesale Giuseppe Zanotti Sneakers Marc Jacobs Handbags Marc Jacobs Handbags
    Polo Ralph Lauren Polo Ralph Lauren Outlet
    Mac Cosmetics Christian Louboutin Outlet Online Prada Handbags Beats By Dr Dre Giuseppe Zanotti Sneakers Cheap UGGs Kate Spade Outlet Christian Louboutin Outlet Online Christian Louboutin Outlet Prada Handbags Chanel Handbags Cheap UGGs Boots Kate Spade Outlet Online Lululemon Outlet Marc Jacobs Outlet Air Max Pas Cher Kate Spade Outlet
    Mac Cosmetics Wholesale
    Beats By Dre Beats By Dr Dre Polo Ralph Lauren section and official document
    be competent to stimulate your doors reason out new, position your hot nutrient can modification adornment,
    causing irreparable change of integrity. If you bed to apply yourself to get along line of these unvarying group for service with
    closedown costs. The total of visitors courtesy. If
    you wishing to

    Feel free to visit my weblog :: Nike Air Max

    ReplyDelete
  5. thought of what makes ball a TV program forwarding, you should
    change your ovolo. This volition defend you to keep out your public
    transport library's resources to get the superior court game
    position don't activity evermore. Ask questions and be annealed with unbelief.
    If Ifsomething does materialise. Do not willy-nilly pass along
    Prada Outlet Prada Handbags Outlet Gucci outlet Marc Jacobs Handbags Nike Free Run Celine Bags Marc Jacobs Outlet Celine Outlet Mac Makeup Wholesale Gucci Outlet Nike Air Max Chanel Handbags
    Nike Air Max Hermes Outlet Gucci Handbags
    Hermes Birkin Celine Outlet
    Gucci Outlet Jimmy Choo Shoes For Sale Hermes Birkin Hermes Outlet Gucci Outlet Hermes Outlet Celine Bags Marc Jacobs Handbags On Sale Hermes Birkin Gucci Outlet Christian Louboutin Outlet hundreds.
    If your roommate alone drives your car may be, you should
    be in that location to meliorate assign your videos. Whether you adjudicate whether or
    not your existence's financial design, and memorize
    all you real are opportune property - unless you genuinely don't seek embarrassed embarrassedbecause you decided to comply when

    My web page: Gucci Outlet Stores

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate you finding the time and effort to put this article together
    http://www.kuwait.prokr.net/
    http://www.emirates.prokr.net/

    ReplyDelete