Wednesday, November 24, 2010

30 Days of Thankfulness - #24

I am thankful for a God who is bigger than my funk cloud.

I'll be honest, peeps: I am in a bit of a funk. I am tired. Worn-out. A little frustrated. Discouraged. Underwhelmed. Overwhelmed. And maybe, just maybe, I am throwing myself a pity party. I would invite you to come but I just don't think you could handle the fun.

Surrounding my hazy cloud of funkiness, I know there are many, many things to be thankful for, such as:

A friend's successful surgery

An uncle who is on the mend and home for Thanksgiving

Chunky babies with disappearing knee caps

Food on my table (read: pumpkin cookies)

Clothes in my closet

Amazing friends

A fantastic family

A great job that sends me to the far corners of the world

A car that is completely paid off

A healthy body that now likes to run even though I am screaming for it to change its mind

And my list could go on and on and on...

But sometimes my heart and my head just don't connect. I know I should feel thankful, but right now I only know that I am. Do you ever have those days? Do you ever have those days the DAY BEFORE a national holiday dedicated to THANKFULNESS?

So today I am thankful for a God who understands my shortcomings and chooses to shower me with His blessings anyway. I am thankful for a God whose grace extends far beyond my funky cloud and who gently and ever-so patiently points my eyes back to Him. And I am thankful for a God who does not allow me to wallow for too long, but with equal amounts of kindness and discipline, He sets me back on track with a new perspective.

I am thankful for a God who can lay the smack down on my funkiness.


I will give thanks to you, LORD, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds. I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing the praises of your name, O Most High.
Psalm 9:1-2

3 comments:

  1. I'm in a funk too! I think mine might be caused by lack of sleep and a teething baby. Thanks for your encouragement! So true. Can't wait to see you manana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preach it sister. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, even in your funk you know how to bring joy and encouragement to a house of weary souls in need of nourishment and spunky conversation. Thank you for sharing your culinary greatness and your shining face with us today. It was great to see you!

    ReplyDelete