Monday, September 26, 2011

The Hunt for the Perfect Dress

Hi Friends. It's Monday. How did that happen? Wasn't it just Friday? I don't understand. Anyway, I hope your weekend was wonderful in every possible way. Mine was. It was fantastic and filled with people I love. Does it get any better? I think not.

So, for the past two weekends, Claire, mom and I have gone dress shopping.  You know, shopping for the dress. The dress that puts all other dresses to shame. The dress that can define a moment and capture a lifetime. Or maybe it is define a lifetime and capture a moment. I don't know. Regardless, we are on the hunt for such a dress and as the MOH, my fluffing and pinning and straightening and cinching and oohing and ahhing duties are kicking into high gear.

Claire has been super. Truly. No diva moments or tantrums in the dressing room, which is a good thing because there is room for only one drama queen in this family and everyone knows that that's me. Obviously. No, Claire has been cool and calm and having a blast trying on all the dresses. She looks so incredibly stunning in them. In some ways it still seems surreal to me, my baby sister getting married. And yes, sometimes I even say things like "weren't you just 12 yesterday?" and "who do you think you are? Only grown ups get married."

Sometimes those things don't go over too well but it's okay, she has a very sparkly ring to comfort her.

Now I have been wedding dress shopping with many of my friends. It is so fun but it is also completely exhausting, especially for the dress-tryer-oner. (Is "oner" a word? I don't know.) There was a point yesterday when Claire was so tired I am sure she could have just sat down in that itty bitty dressing room full of tulle and other fluffy stuff and just fallen asleep. I don't blame her, it is nearly impossible to try on these dresses quickly and after five, you are ready to just buy the next dress you see.

Which thankfully she didn't because it was some heinous gauzy number that did nothing for her. NOTHING, I tell you.

So I have decided that an emergency supply kit is necessary on these trips. Things such as trail mix and water and gum and peppermints and a Red Bull, plus a picture of the fiancĂ©, are all needed to keep the motivation alive. And as the MOH, I will come prepared next time. The last thing we need on this pilgrimage to the altar is an unmotivated bride. I can do a lot of things but trying to get an apathetic sister into a dress that weighs more than she does is above my pay grade. Next time, we are going to do a shot of espresso, followed by a quick lap around the parking lot and Rocky theme music playing on the iPod. We have to face this head on if we are going to come out victorious.

Thankfully, Claire made it through yesterday's shopping beautifully, and although she found two that she loved, the hunt is back on to find the perfect dress. And if you have any tips out there for the bride or the older sister during this process, I would love to hear them. Wedding dress shopping is not for the faint of heart...or those with low blood sugar.

4 comments:

  1. You are the perfect MOH, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a good writer. Maybe I can come next time since I am a wedding dress tryer on pro from my days at the BC. And cause I love Claire. I'm sure she looked beautiful in all of them! Love you both!
    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! Great work Sarah!! Next time I recommend a stop at Starbucks. That will provide the jolt that she'll need. Can't wait to hear about the next adventure! ~ Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are doing a fabulous job as MOH Sarah! You know how to reach me if you need to call in the back-up. I can bring sugar in various forms, and plenty of laughter to help keep things in perspective :) Heather

    ReplyDelete